Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 14 had an impact on me...

Chapter 14, to me, was very powerful in the sense that these folks figured out what they were up against - like they knew that the "monster" was out to divide and conquer them. They knew that by coming together through these perilous times, that it gave them some power. It may not have been much, but it was enough to make them realize that although they were divided from their land, they do not have to be divided from each other in community. I highlighted the passage:

"This is the beginning - from "I" to "we." If you who own things people must have could understand this, you might preserve yourself. If you could separate causes form results, if you could know that Paine, Marx, Jefferson, Lenin, were results, not causes, you might survive. But that you cannot know. For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I," and cuts you off forever from the "we.""

This is the true meaning of revolution; when two or more people can come together in the midst of the very thing set out to tear them apart and dehumanize them. The events that lead up to the Great Depression, and the depression itself marked a new era in the banking and financial world. It is unspoken that it was also a start of a new era when people lost their sense of community and focused more on themselves, regardless of the welfare of others. The illustration of The Joads and the Wilsons; two families who never knew each other who crossed paths at their lowest points - when it is said that people cannot trust each other- is a prime example of the genuine form of revolution that I have expressed here in this post. 


 

6 comments:

  1. This looks to be a great example as to understanding what was going on historically is crucial to the reading. I see the sense of community in the passage and your interpretation, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree some. Chapter 14 highlight what was going in the political world at the time. Communism was starting to look great for some, but many others feared. This chapter is just that. "'We lost our land.' The danger is here, for two men are not lonely and perplexed as one."

    Later, in that same paragraph, Steinbeck writes, "The baby has a cold. Here, take this blanket. It's wool. It was my mother's blanket-take it for the baby. This is the thing to bomb. This is the beginning-from 'I' to 'we.'" Chapter 14 is dedicated to the Red Scare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has made me rethink some things. I love how you have stated "We Have Lost Our Land" it jumped out to me. This chapter was powerful and very insightful...Rhonda

      Delete
  3. I think it was a powerful chapter, reading them realizing the unity within each other. It is very cool to see them fighting to stay strong with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chapter 14 for me as I see it through my eyes is that they had finally relaized what they were facing. What there once was, now has become an unstandable world for them. They once knew what each day held but just in the blink of an eye they lose the most valuable things to them. Not just family but their land.. This chapter has given me chills I want to know more and more.. Sad thing is this all could happen again if we don't learn from our past.. Thought there were great comments...Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unity to stand strong against their fears and to fight for what is Theirs is great, I liked your comment.. good insight..Rhonda

    ReplyDelete