Monday, October 15, 2012

Exploration 7

Exploration 7
Noah Lucas

Men digging a ditch during the depression


      A theme that I see as important in the Grapes of Wrath is a willingness to work, and hard work. The people of the depression usually had absolutely nothing and they were always willing to work, it didn't matter at all what the job was or how much they got paid, they just wanted work so they could provide for their families and have enough to eat. You see this theme a lot in our readings, the Joad men are willing to do whatever they have to to provide for the family, and have enough money to continue their journey.
      In chapter 22, Tom meets Timothy Wallace and his son Wilkie at the Weedpatch camp they are staying in and they become friends. The Wallace's offer to try and help Tom get a job laying pipe with them. Once they arrive at the job site, their boss comes out and doesn't seem to happy to see that they brought another man with them, and goes on to lower their pay because the Farmers' Association is lowering the wage and he has to also. While the men are not happy with the lower pay they are still willing to do the work because of how desperate they are.
It doesn't matter what the job is,
do it to the best of your ability. 
       Their hard work, and willingness to work is something that stands out to me because it's something that my father has always taught my brothers and I to do. While a lot of the time he doesn't teach us to work hard by telling us we need to, he leads by example, always doing his best and never complaining when something tough comes up. I feel like in todays society this concept is lost. A lot of men expect things to be handed to them and would rather not work a job and just scrape by, they would rather get handouts from the government and not have to work at all.

   Hard work and a work ethic makes my family what it is today. My great great grandfather started our family business, taught his son the values of hard work, who in turn taught his boys what it means to have a work ethic, they then taught my grandpa that nothing is going to be handed to him and he has to work hard, he taught my father who leads by example, to this day, in teaching me and my brothers. It is our backbone.

6 comments:

  1. I like the example here because you knocked this out the park - too many people these days have been conditioned to just be lazy, and for the government to take care of them. Public assistance is supposed to be just that, assistance. Assist means, "to help," not "to be done for you." Nice work, Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always annoys me when I meet people who think stuff should just be handed to them. If you want something, you have to work for it.

    You picked a good theme. It was very important back in the day, but the people of today seem to have forgotten about this. Like Frank said, they're conditioned to be lazy. We, and Americans, need to get back to the belief that hard work will make you and take you places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with everyone on this, I can not stand people who are able to work, but because our government will give them money for staying home, that is all they do. Hard work really pays off in the end, and I think that some people don't see the value in it in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one that agrees that everyone should work for what you have. FOR ME I appreiate the things I have today because I have worked for what I have. My house I got through the death of my parents but I keep it and I work at making it the best house ever. this is a very good exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree because all the stuff I have is because I worked hard for it. Which when I am working hard there are people out there who are not working at all but still getting things because of the government giving them money. Which not right if your able to work then work, it gives you more pride because you worked for something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your exploration. Back then people knew that if they wanted something they would have to work hard for it. Now, not everyone has to work because they get things just handed to them. It really irritates me when people are not willing to work for their own things. Instead of working hard, they steal from others and take advantage of the system.

    ReplyDelete