Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath

The chapter I found most engaging was chapter 15. I found this chapter engaging because of the way the waitress reacts to everything around her. It shows that even in hard times, there are still good people out there. Even though the business was probably struggling, Al says to give them the bread. An important theme in this chapter is humanity. Though out the book, you see many bad things happen and many good things. This chapter just pinpoints a place in time where the good humanity is.

" 'May soun' funny to be so tight,' he apologized. 'We got a thousand miles to go, an' we don' know if we'll make it.' He dug in the pouch with a forefinger, located a dime, and pinched in for it. When he put it down on the counter he had a penny with it. He was about to drop the penny back into the pouch when his eye fell on the boys frozen before the candy counter. He moved slowly down to them. He pointed in the case at big long sticks of peppermint. 'Is them penny candy, ma'am?' " This passage outlines how nice she was, with out being obvious or overly showy about it.

5 comments:

  1. Chapter 15 was the most important chapter to me as well. I really liked how Mae sold them the loaf of bread for 10 cents and the two pieces of candy for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought chapter 15 was an important part of the story. I used a passage that goes along with yours also showing the kindness of a lot of the people around the dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I agree with you. I think that chapter fifteen is very interesting as well. It is refreshing to read after so many chapters about someone who is not so self-focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote about chapter 12 and how it's theme is basically the complete opposite of this. I found chapter 15 interesting too becuase how nice Mae treated the family despite their financial situation and also how nice the truck drivers were to Mae when they left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chapter 15 was the most important to me as well. I really enjoyed how kind it was to give the man and kids bread and candy at a discounted price.

    ReplyDelete