Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Being quite Frank about things...

Hello everyone! I'm Frank, and although I grew up a Michigan fan, I love it here at Ohio State. I am currently pursuing my Bachelor of Science in Health Science/Nutrition and Exercise in hopes to be accepted into Pre-Physical Therapy once I graduate. I've been exposed to a lot of pain - both physically and mentally so I would be here all day in an elaborate description of myself. But to sum it all up would be for me to say, "(I am) the kid who has been through hell and back who is now the man trying to find his piece of heaven."

For today's review on the essays we have read, the passage that moved me the most was from "Shrouded in Contradiction" (Gelareh Asayesh) It says:

"... I gather up the wet and grimy folds with distaste, longing to be home, where I can cast off this curtain of cloth that gives with one hand, and takes with the other."

I can totally relate to this because although I have lived in Cincinnati almost my whole life, I am originally from Southern California. To me, its like being in another country when I go back out there to visit relatives. I love the scenery and being around family, but when I return home to Ohio - especially after the first time I went back out when I was younger - its like I totally denounce my heritage(s), just to blend in with my surrounding society. I do this because although I am biracial, when I tell people that my father was half Mexican, it seems that my explanation of my Irish, German, Italian, and Puerto-Rican backgrounds falls upon deaf ears - or simply just fly right out the window. I think it is because of the stigma that follows the Mexicans in our country = illegal aliens. My friends and I joke about it sometimes, and I'm fine with that because it breaks the ice and racial tension (I feel), but I promise you people, the brown won't rub off on you! ;-)   

1 comment:

  1. I am also multi-racial. I am 1/4 Japanese and although the stigmas for Mexican and Asian are different, I understand a little about what you mean. What a great passage, I could really feel her emotions through it!

    ReplyDelete